Current:Home > FinanceLawsuit against North Carolina officer who shot and killed teen can continue, court says -WealthRoots Academy
Lawsuit against North Carolina officer who shot and killed teen can continue, court says
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 02:59:41
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The mother of a 17-year-old who was killed while driving a reportedly stolen car in a central North Carolina city can continue to pursue claims against the police officer who shot her son, a federal court has ruled.
A three-judge panel for the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia, unanimously reversed on Monday a previous decision by a lower court to dismiss civil claims — including use of excessive force in the shooting death of the Black teenager, Nasanto Crenshaw — against Greensboro city police officer Matthew Lewis Sletten.
The lawsuit against the officer now returns to the U.S. District Court in Greensboro, where it may go to trial. The panel, meanwhile, upheld the dismissal of other claims against the city contained in the lawsuit.
After responding to reports of a stolen car in August 2022, Sletten followed the vehicle, which Crenshaw was driving, until they reached a dead end in the parking lot, according to the appeals court’s ruling. Sletten attempted to block off the car with his patrol vehicle, which Crenshaw swiped while trying to park, according to the plaintiff.
The lawsuit said Crenshaw tried evading Sletten by driving off when the officer shot at the vehicle several times, fatally hitting the teen. Sletten told the court that Crenshaw drove “directly toward” him and caused him to shoot, according to the court ruling.
The teen’s mother, Wakita Doriety, sued the city and Sletten for wrongful death, battery and assault, in addition to claims against the officer for federal civil rights violations. She sought financial damages and other relief for his estate.
U.S. District Judge Catherine Eagles dismissed Doriety’s claims in July 2023 against both the city and Sletten after reviewing video footage of what happened. Calling the video “integral” to granting the officer’s motion to dismiss, Eagles ruled that the footage indisputably showed the car driving at Sletten, according to the appellate opinion.
The appellate panel only partially disagreed with Eagles’ ruling. Circuit Judge Barbara Milano Keenan, writing the court’s opinion, said the video didn’t clearly refute the plaintiff’s “plausible allegations” of excessive force at this stage in the litigation. Keenan wrote that the video lacked “critical details” such as where the officer was located, the trajectory of the allegedly stolen vehicle and distance between the car and Sletten when he fired his gun.
“Courts must be mindful not to short-circuit at the motion to dismiss stage a plaintiff’s plausible claim of excessive force based on a video that does not blatantly contradict those allegations,” she wrote. Circuit Judges James Wynn and DeAndrea Gist Benjamin joined in the opinion.
The plaintiff’s attorney, Harry Daniels, said in a statement that Sletten was not in danger when he shot Crenshaw, adding that he hopes Crenshaw’s mother will “get to have her day in court” because of the appellate ruling.
Attorneys from a Greensboro law firm representing Sletten declined to comment Tuesday. The ruling can still be appealed.
The Guilford County district attorney said last year she would not pursue criminal charges against Sletten, saying he was justified in using deadly force.
The panel did uphold the lower court’s decision to dismiss the case against the city by citing governmental immunity — a type of immunity for local governments to protect them from legal claims based on their employees’ actions.
veryGood! (18596)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- 'Scott Pilgrim Takes Off'—and levels up
- Albania’s prime minister calls for more NATO troops in neighboring Kosovo following ethnic violence
- Roll your eyes, but Black Friday's still got it. So here's what to look for
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Messi’s Argentina beats Brazil in a World Cup qualifying game delayed by crowd violence
- Snoop Dogg said he quit smoking, but it was a ruse. Here's why some experts aren't laughing.
- Missouri driver killed in crash involving car fleeing police
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Track coach pleads guilty in federal court to tricking women into sending him nude photos
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- A robot powered by artificial intelligence may be able to make oxygen on Mars, study finds
- All the Michigan vs. Ohio State history you need to know ahead of 2023 matchup
- The top contenders to lead the Netherlands, from a former refugee to an anti-Islam populist
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Bob Vander Plaats, influential Iowa evangelical leader, endorses DeSantis
- If you haven’t started your Thanksgiving trip, you’re not alone. The busiest days are still to come
- Border crossings closed after vehicle explosion on bridge connecting New York and Canada
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Palestinian flag displayed by fans of Scottish club Celtic at Champions League game draws UEFA fine
Elon Musk says X Corp. will donate ad and subscription revenue tied to Gaza war
25 killed when truck overloaded with food items and people crashes in Nigeria’s north
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Charleston, South Carolina, elects its first Republican mayor since Reconstruction Era
Timekeepers no more, rank-and-file Jehovah’s Witnesses say goodbye to tracking proselytizing hours
India in G20 summit welcomes Israel-Hamas cease-fire, urges action on climate, other issues